- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7. In a large frying pan, heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté over a medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Cut the bacon pieces into cubes. Add to the onions and stir well.
- Cut the sausages in half and add to the same pan.
- Turn up the heat and continue to stir. Cook the mixture until the sausages start to brown.
- In a heatproof casserole dish, place a layer of the onion, bacon, and sausage mix followed by a layer of finely sliced carrots and then a layer of finely sliced potatoes.
- Repeat this until all the ingredients are used. Finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Slowly pour over the stock.
- Cover with a lid or a double layer of tinfoil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Check regularly that the coddle is not drying out. If so, sprinkle the surface with a little boiling water.
- Lower the heat to 175°C/Gas 4 and cook for another 30 minutes, until bubbling and the potatoes on all layers are cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes to set. Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Ready to serve with some chopped flat-leaf parsley.