- Slice the potatoes. The easiest way to slice your potatoes thinly is with a mandolin. Alternatively take your time and use a sharp knife making sure your potatoes are of a similar size.
- Chop the onion into rings and finely chop the garlic.
- Take a medium/large frying pan and melt the butter and once sizzling add the onions and garlic, cook until soft. Remove from the pan.
- To the pan add a layer of potatoes, followed by the beef, the onions and the thyme. Repeat twice building up the layers finishing with a layer of potato.
- Pour in the beef stock and put on a lid on and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°c and turn on the grill.
- Place the pan under the grill to crisp the top of the dish then serve.
Tip - replace the beef stock with chicken stock and the beef with left over chicken and cook in the same way.