POTATO, LEEK AND MUSSEL SOUP
- Peel and slice the onions, leeks, and potatoes. Beard and wash the mussels. (Remove the little ‘threads’ holding the mussels’ two shells together)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and leeks and sweat cook them for about 5 minutes.
- Add the raw, sliced potatoes to the saucepan.
- Add the 2 litres of water or chicken / vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes have softened.
- Now, mix all the ingredients together in the saucepan.
- Steam the clean mussels in a little water until they open and are cooked. Don’t use any mussels that don’t open!
- Remove the mussels from the shells, stir fold into the soup.
- Seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve in soup bowls. Add salt to taste, and some sour cream and chives.
- Ready to serve