- Wash and peel the potatoes and cut them into pieces. Cook them in salted, boiling water then drain them and crush with a fork.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with the cream and a pinch of nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Finely slice the courgettes lengthwise using a mandolin.
- Place some cling film on the work surface. Place strips of courgette to form a rectangle (the same size as the slices of ham). Lay a slice of ham on top, spread with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with grated mature cheddar.
- Roll up the maki using the film to help. Use the film to make sure it stays rolled up tightly and continue until you have 8 makis. Refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Remove the cling film and cut each roll into 2 cm makis. Place the makis on a backing tray with baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Serve with a salad if desired.
You can vary the potato makis using nori instead of courgettes.