- Mix the minced beef with the egg, breadcrumbs and finely chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Make 5cm meat balls and keep cool until needed.
- Peel the potatoes and carrot, cut into cubes. Sweat the carrots and white cabbage in a large pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bay leaf and the potatoes and cover with salted water. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan. Fry the meatballs until brown all over. Spoon them out of the pan.
- Fry the onion and garlic with paprika until the onion is translucent. Add the tomato puree and flour and stir fry for 2 minutes. Deglaze with water and add stock cube. Return the meatballs to the pan, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Drain the potatoes and keep some cooking liquid aside. Remove the bay leaf and coarsely mash the potatoes and vegetables with the finely chopped kale, knob of butter and the milk. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve the stew with the goulash meatballs and fresh parsley.
Tip: Wash the potatoes well but don't peel them. Roughly mash the potatoes with skin, fewer vitamins will be lost as they are just under the skin.