Learn how to easily cook a must of French gastronomy: the comforting and economical hachis parmentier. Discover our recipe inspired by the one concocted by Antoine Parmentier, the apothecary who gave the potato its reputation for excellence by presenting it at the table of Louis XVI.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F).
- Wash and cut the potatoes into pieces and cook them for about 20 minutes in a pan of salted water. Reserve the cooking water.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher and add cooking water to the desired consistency.
- Add the cream and mix.
- Fry the onion and carrot on a frying pan with a drizzle of oil until soft.
- Add the ground beef, thyme, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and mix. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the cooked minced meat in an ovenproof dish and cover with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with grated cheese and put in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Finish with 3 to 5 minutes under the grill to brown.
Credit: recipe by AnneCé Bretin